Friday, April 5, 2013

95/365: A Crock Pot Fiasco

Here's your picture of the day:


And here's your story behind the picture:

I woke up this morning and went to get my cup of coffee. On the counter was a note from Dustin that simply stated "Crock Pot Meal." My interpretation of this note was to get a crock pot meal out of the freezer and defrost it. Looking at the clock, it was just after 8:00 am, so I had to pick a meal with a lesser cook time so I had time to defrost it. I pulled a yummy pork and veggies meal out, put it in the sink and laid a heavy dinner plate on top of it. Why did I do this you ask? Well, Riley is a very well behaved dog, but only when you're looking at him! (ha!). This plate serves as an obstacle to get to the dinner and also as a "bell" of sorts if he did choose to get to the dinner.

Sure enough, right before I got in the shower, about 20 minutes after I set the meal out, I heard the dinner plate. I ran downstairs and he already had the bag on the floor, whole in it, and likely got at least one bite out of the dinner. Ugh! As a result, I had to put Riley in the den as I showered, which is the picture above. Poor thing... I felt so bad for him! (Don't feel too bad though, the room is full of toys, a great view and a love seat with pillows. It's not like he was being punished!)

You think that's the end of the crock pot story don't you? Well, to add insult to injury, I desperately started trying to thaw this dinner out so that I could get it in the crock pot by noon so that we could eat dinner at a decent hour. The crock pot was on the counter, and I glanced at it only to find that Dustin had already taken a crock pot meal out of the freezer early this morning and put it inside the crock pot... it was already thawed. Are you kidding me?! Now what?

Turns out, the dinner he chose needed broccoli added to it and 4 cups of white wine. The only white wine we have is from our trip to Canada, NY and Erie. I'd much rather drink that wine than throw it in a crock pot meal. So, after a lot of back and forth, I decided we're eating pork and veggies minus the bite Riley had and we'll have to have the savory chicken tomorrow... after we purchase a bottle of white wine, of course.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the story behind the picture of the day. It's not even noon yet.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Erin, for sharing the story. I enjoyed reading it. Riley had the perfect time-out face in that photo, lol. I imagine little Hannah was sleeping when all this was happening...right?....The note your husband left on the counter reminded me of the little notes my husband leaves on the counter before going to work and before we all get up...Also you guys are sooooo organized with all your frozen meals....That's so awesome! If I was that organized it would make my life so much easier at supper time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly knew he was in time-out :). Hannah was snoozing upstairs while all of this was happening! And I can thank my organization on nesting!! :)

      Delete